Monday, January 11, 2010

Ask For the Right Things

How many times have you been asked to make a wish for something and then wasted your wish on the wrong thing?

That happened to me earlier today. Someone challenged me to make a wish as if my one wish would be granted and I thought long and hard about what has been troubling over the past few months and tried to be very specific in my wish lest I leave a loophole in my request.

I didn't think about it at the time for it was just a silly wish, but now it's all I can think about. When I made the wish, my husband was out of the house and I just assumed that everything would be okay and that he'd be home around 6pm and we'd have our normal evening together. At 5 pm I started looking for him and that's when I realized that I made the wrong wish. All I really want is for him to be here with me -- okay, healthy, happy, here. That's all I really want.

Now it's 6:51 pm and he is not at home. I can't reach him and I don't know where he is so of course I'm worried. I can't think about what we're going to do tomorrow until I get through my today.

Next time I make a wish, I know what it will be. Every time I make a wish I know what it will be ... for the people I love the most to stay healthy. I wish that I could hug my parents today for it's been too many years since I've last hugged them. I wish to sit around the table with my family and watch my nieces and nephews (and grandnephews and niece) play.

But most of all, I wish David Sr. would walk through the door right now.

1 comment: