Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 2 on My Journey of Hope

Today I have to try a little harder to have hope. According to the dictionary, “Hope is a belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Hope is the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best.” (The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition).

Yesterday I thought I was hoping for something, but it turns out that my hope was not genuine. I thought I was hoping for something good to happen but the truth is that I didn’t believe that what I wanted would come to pass.

I said: “I hope that someone I don’t know gets this from someone I do and likes it.”, but then I began writing my next column and entitled it “With Hope Comes Disappointment”. I was expecting to fail, not hoping to succeed. Here is the opening paragraph of the column which won’t be written:

Another day of hope, and with hope comes disappointment. Some folks think I like winning when in fact, I don’t like winning as much as I hate losing. I expect to win. I usually only try things that I know I’m good at.


Then something wonderful happened. My hope was realized. I received a comment from a stranger. Now mind you, I also received feedback from friends. My good friend RC sent me a private email in which she wrote “I was moved to tears.” My project leader called me and expressed the joy she felt when she read my column … then she asked me for her budget numbers. Friends and family on my Facebook profile “liked” my post. Another acquaintance sent me an email and said “Many great things will come your way over the next 14-days. I will keep you in my prayer.” I loved hearing from them all, but it was this stranger who didn’t come from a friend but rather out of nowhere who fulfilled my dream.

Today I am going to hope without reservation or fear. I’m going to put all my energies into believing that my friend AJ is going to do what he said he was going to do. I’m going to put all my energies into hoping that my debtors make restitution so I can likewise repay my debts. I’m going to hope without a back-up plan and see how far that takes me.

What are you hoping for?

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes Hope needs a dash of reality. I know AJ is not going to do what he repeatedly said he was going to do and decided sometimes in life you have to cut your losses.

    Now I am hoping that I will learn to trust my instincts more and listen to my husband, who is an excellent judge of character.

    ReplyDelete