Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 6. I Walk Behind Greatness.

So many people greater than I have spoken on Hope. I am not alone on my journey which is a good thing. I am so often disappointed by people that I think I can depend on (AJ ... I'm talking about you!) that I turn to strangers to give me strength to carry on.

Here are a few quotes on hope that keep me going:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning. (Albert Einstein)

We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes. (John Fitzgerald Kennedy)

Consult not your fears but your hopes and dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do. (Pope John XXIII)

Hope is a waking dream. (Aristotle)



When I get frustrated with others, I like these:
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. (Mohandas K. Gandhi)

We promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears. (Francois De La Rochefoucauld)

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.)



When I don't get my way (which is more often than not):
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. (Winston Churchill)

Things never go so well that one should have no fear, and never so ill that one should have no hope. (Turkish proverb)



Last but certainly not least, though this does not include the word hope, it pretty much sums it up for me:
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. (Thomas Jefferson)



I'm always looking for more words of wisdom.

3 comments:

  1. "My father once said, 'If the whole world wants to go left and you feel like going right, go right. You don't have to follow. You don't have to make a big deal about which way you're going. Just go. It's very easy'."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Whether a person is spiritual or not, we all seek to get away from the stress, anger, and anxiety of everyday life. Some people drink, do drugs, or do worse to escape, and they hurt themselves in the process. Some people listen to music, mine included, and feel better."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that Don Steve. Your father sounds like a wise, good man.

    ReplyDelete